Search for content in this blog.

วันเสาร์ที่ 23 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Sawäddee khä!

Sawäddee khä!

What a crazy few months it’s been! I arrived in Bangkok at the end of July and my life has been non-stop ever since. There’s so much to tell, I hardly know where to begin. The short version is that I love Thailand and I’m very happy to be here following God’s call! The longer version has quite a few more details, so bear with me!

International Community School

ICS has proved to be everything I hoped for and more! It is a wonderful place to work and it has quickly become my home away from home. We have an incredible staff – I am privileged to be working alongside them and so blessed to call them my friends. I’m always amazed at how easy it is to find friends even in a place that is so foreign!

I have 18 students in my third grade class and they are quite a bunch! They represent many different cultures: Thai, Korean, Indian, American, Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese! They’re still learning how to walk quietly in line down the hallway (a teacher’s constant battle!), but they really are a joy to teach and I have loved getting to know them.

Good News Club

This year I am helping with GNC, a Bible club for grades 2-5 that meets after school on Tuesdays. I am the “herder” for the fourth graders, so I get to take them to their different club classes – they listen to a Bible story and learn a weekly Bible verse, listen to missionary stories, and get to play some crazy games! It’s exhausting after a long day of teaching, but I’ve really enjoyed spending time with the fourth graders and seeing them learn about God.

Newsong Bangkok

A self-proclaimed “third culture community of misfits,” Newsong has become my church home here in Bangkok. As my friend Robert says, “It’s like meeting in the Upper Room every week!” It really is a different atmosphere – we meet in a tiny building filled with couches and beanbag chairs and we worship God together as loudly and energetically as we want. The “congregation” is made up of young adults and teens from all over the world and the feeling of family is strong! God definitely provided a wonderful refuge for me here in Bangkok!

Thai Language and Culture

One of my goals this year is to gain an understanding of the Thai people and their language. The Thai people are wonderfully welcoming and easy to get along with, but their language is quite a bit more difficult! Thai is a tonal language with many sounds not heard in English, so it proves to be a challenge. Our Thai teacher, Khun Pboo, is very patient and encouraging, and I feel like I’m making some progress! I’ve been able to get around town in taxis and order my own food, so I guess that’s something to be proud of!

What Else?

I have a great apartment right on campus – I don’t even have to cross the street in the morning! I am enjoying living on my own for the first time ever, but don’t worry – I’m never lonely! Those of us who live in the Commercial Building (as it’s called) are constantly in and out of each other’s apartments, watching movies, eating dinner together, and just enjoying each other’s company.

I’ve found a close group of friends here at school and I’m so thankful for them! After school and on the weekends we usually go out to eat (there are street vendors on almost every corner!), hang out at the mall, or go exploring around the city. We’ve also gotten quite good at riding the SkyTrain around the city – Bangkok is filled with things to do, so we’re never bored!

This past weekend we traveled to the island of Koh Samet and relaxed on the beach! We had a great time hanging out with each other and enjoying a restful weekend. There are a ton of pictures from the trip on my website, as well as pictures of my apartment, classroom, and general adventures around town!

Prayer Requests

· My students: Pack, Howard, Drew, Charlie, Esther, Ayush, Lilly, Mann, Tim, Lyon, Gino, Yiam, Poom, Gabriella, Art, Sarah, Fay, and Paula.

· Perseverance in studying the Thai language.

· Relief from migraines, especially during this rainy/humid season.

· Continued adjustment to a new country and new school.

· Strengthened friendships with my fellow teachers.

Get In Touch

There are several ways to contact me if you’d like – I would love to hear from you!


Email

joyscaglione@gmail.com

Website

http://www.spreadmydreams.com/

Joy Scaglione

c/o International Community School

1225 The Parkland Road

Bangna, Bangna

Bangkok 10260

Thailand

.
.
.
.
Life Insurance Knowledge:Life Insurance , private, death, employee pensions and annuities,life insurance, educational, life insurance companies

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น